The Charlotte News

Monday, December 15, 1952


Site Ed. Note: The front page reports that the Communist Chinese this date angrily rejected the U.N. peace proposal advanced by India and approved by the General Assembly overwhelmingly. Foreign Minister Chou En-lai, who had called the General Assembly resolution illegal, unreasonable, unfair and degenerate, made the announcement via Peiping radio. He demanded that the U.S. resume truce talks at Panmunjom, suspended since the previous October, along the lines proposed by Russian Foreign Minister Andrei Vishinsky, who had suggested an immediate cease-fire and a political conference with Communist China and North Korea sitting in to settle the prisoner of war repatriation issue. The proposal had provided for a five-nation commission, with one of the nations sitting as a referee to break deadlocks, to handle repatriation of prisoners after an armistice was reached. Those declining repatriation would be turned over to the U.N. The five-member Soviet bloc of nations had voted against the resolution. Chou insisted on "unconditional, speedy and total repatriation of prisoners of war".

In Korea, allied guards had killed 82 mutinous Communist prisoners and wounded 120 on Pongam Island the previous day, in quelling one of the bloodiest Communist riots of the war, undertaken by 3,600 civilian internees, probably as part of a known Communist plan to stage a mass breakout. The Allied Prisoner of War Command said that two American and two South Korean soldiers were injured by rock-throwing prisoners. The trouble had started when prisoners in six compounds defied strict orders by organizing military drills and demonstrations. They had then massed at the top of a high terrace and three ranks of prisoners with locked arms defied advancing U.N. troops, as others behind them showered the guards with rocks. The guards then fired warning shots and ordered the Communist to halt, and when they refused, individual weapons had been brought to bear to prevent the entire mass from breaking out. Teargas grenades could not be used because a high wind was sweeping across the terraces. The injured prisoners were taken via landing craft to a hospital on Koje Island. The island was located off the northwest tip of Koje, where riots had occurred at the prison camp located there the prior February. Many of the prisoners had been involved in the earlier violence on February 18, when 81 Communist prisoners and one U.S. soldier had been killed, leading to an investigation and crackdown by Far East commander, General Mark Clark. All of the prisoners involved in the previous day's riot were Koreans, all of whom had elected to return to Communist control after an armistice.

Along the front, Chinese Communist troops attacked through rain and snow this date on the central front at "Pinpoint Hill", "Rocky Point" and outpost positions on the lower slopes of "Triangle Hill", overrunning two South Korean outposts in pitched battles, after which counterattacking South Korean troops recaptured the larger of the outposts. The attack at "Triangle" began before midnight and lasted until dawn, but the Chinese had been pushed back by the South Koreans just before daybreak. The Chinese had pulled back before daybreak in the attack on "Pinpoint", the dominating height on "Sniper Ridge".

President-elect Eisenhower would return to work at his New York headquarters this date, preparing to develop "positive programs" for bringing peace in Korea. He said to reporters, upon return from his trip to Korea, that he had new confidence about the outlook for a satisfactory solution. He repeated, however, that no simple formula was at hand and counseled patience, foresight and common sense. He gave no indication when he planned to meet with General MacArthur, who had declared in a speech 10 days earlier that he was confident that there was a "clear and definite solution to the Korean conflict". The President-elect said in a prepared statement for reporters that the allies faced an enemy "we cannot hope to impress by words, however eloquent, but only by deeds—executed under circumstances of our own choosing." He gave no indication as to the precise meaning of those words, saying that certain aspects of battle problems could not ever be discussed publicly.

In Paris, General Matthew Ridgway, supreme commander of NATO, said in a speech this date before the ministers of the 14 NATO nations, that they should approve his 428 million dollar military construction program. But the 30 ministers postponed any action on the program this date, and also postponed action on naming a commander for the new NATO Mediterranean Naval Command. Italian Premier Alcide de Gasperi urged to the group a united propaganda campaign against the Communists, to combat the Soviet propaganda campaign against the Western democracies.

The Supreme Court, in Wieman v. Updegraff, 344 U.S. 183, with Justice Tom Clark delivering the 8-0 opinion, this date struck down Oklahoma's loyalty oath on the ground that it penalized persons who might have joined subversive organizations innocently. The law required state officers and employees to swear that they were not affiliated with the Communist Party or any other organization which advocated violent overthrow of the government, and required a promise to take up arms in defense of the United States. The majority deemed it an assertion of arbitrary power and that the oath offended due process. Justices Hugo Black and Felix Frankfurter issued separate concurring opinions, with both of whom Justice William O. Douglas joined, and Justice Robert Jackson took no part in the case. Seven former instructors at Oklahoma A. & M. had declined to take the oath and had been fired in May, 1951, then contesting the constitutionality of the oath.

On the 161st anniversary of the ratification of the Bill of Rights, the President said this date that the idea freedom was in danger, not only from Communism but from those who wanted the Government to regulate the mind and spirit, that the "external threat to liberty should not drive us into suppressing liberty at home." He likened those who wanted to regulate matters of the mind and spirit to those who were "so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." He suggested that it was appropriate to be alarmed over the challenge faced against Communism, but that hysteria over it impelled people "to destroy the very thing they are struggling to preserve." He said that some people believed that it was "too dangerous to proclaim liberty throughout all the land to all the inhabitants". The remarks were prepared for ceremonies dedicating a new shrine in the National Archives for display of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Each document had been sealed in glass cases specially designed to protect them from deterioration and would be lowered each night into a safe, preventing burglary, destruction by fire, bombs or water. The three documents had been moved under heavy guard the previous Saturday from the Library of Congress.

In Washington, the nation's 531 presidential electors cast their votes. The outcome of the election had been 442 electoral votes for General Eisenhower and 89 for Governor Stevenson. The final popular vote tally had been about 33.9 million for the General and 27.3 million for the Governor. On January 6, the new Congress would record the results. Most electors were legally free to vote as they pleased, while a few states bound the electors by law to vote for the candidate who carried the popular plurality in the state. So-called "faithless" electors were nevertheless extremely rare, as at that point, only three out of the 14,879 during the nation's history had voted for others than those for whom they had been commissioned. The latest instance had occurred in 1948 when a Tennessee elector who was elected to vote for the President, had voted for Governor Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, the Dixiecrat candidate. The electors, themselves, were divided on whether the Electoral College was archaic or should be preserved, some believing it should be discarded and presidents elected strictly by the popular vote while others favored retaining the system but changing it to permit a split of electoral votes in proportion to the popular vote in each state—as had been proposed by Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr.

We say again that if the country had done something about this silly holdover from the 18th Century, when most of the country was illiterate and travel between points was slow and arduous, and the need was for a relatively quick determiner of how the election had concluded, and a safety valve against electing a despot, long since abandoned by the loyalty oaths now required by virtually all states, we would not be faced with the current mess in the White House and the need to impeach its occupant, completely ill-suited from the start to head the executive branch of government. An escaped lunatic could administer things better. If you are so incredibly dumb as to believe that things are good in the country, sit back objectively and take a look around. The country has never been so divided as it is today under the divisive, vitriolic language daily spewed by this crazy person in the White House, labeling all who merely disagree with him "radicals" and "crooks". If you think the country is united in any way, you are ignoring the facts and seeing things through your rose-colored Trumpie glasses, or simply not seeing things at all. President Nixon was pretty bad on that count, but not nearly so as this cretin. He seeks to impose his will as a king on his subjects, does not understand the first thing about governance through bipartisan compromise, makes the fatal mistake of viewing the executive's role as that of the head of a giant corporation, despite the fact that a minority of the voters, three million fewer than the plurality's choice, actually "elected" him in 2016 and the inherent notion since the Founding that the Government's three branches are responsible for the "general welfare" and "common defense" of the people, all of the people, are not, therefore, remotely analogous to a corporation, which functions through a chief executive and board of directors only for the benefit of its shareholders with the loot to buy its stock, more akin to the present and past governments of Russia or China or North Korea, whose systems he obviously reveres and emulates, thus seeks from them aid and comfort to try to rig elections to remain in office, desperately so, to avoid going to jail for his many crimes in stealing the office in the first instance. The Trumpies might call that statement "seditious libel" or even "treason" against the king. We call it belief in the Constitution. His desire to set up U.S.A., Inc., got sidetracked when the decisive majority of the people got wise and in 2018 elected a Democratic majority in the House of Representatives.

In Leghorn, Italy, a U.S. Navy refrigerator ship, the Grommet Reefer, had broken in half on the rocks of the harbor this date, with 40 men aboard, having been driven aground by gale-whipped seas. Three men had been carried to safety by breeches buoy across the water, but in late afternoon, the line used to operate it had snapped, whereupon an Italian sailor had seized the broken end of the line before it disappeared in the sea, and rescue workers set to work splicing it. The first man to reach shore said that no one aboard the ship had been hurt. The senior Naval officer present said that if the ship did not break up, they could save the 37 still aboard the stern section, firmly lodged on rocks about 100 yards offshore, but, they warned, reports from aboard said that the plates were buckling on the ship. Those on board feared that the stern section would topple over, but rescue workers said there was no immediate danger. The ship's cargo included seven tons of turkey bound for soldiers in Austria and Italy.

In Albemarle, N.C., two women of Oakboro were killed on their way to work this date when their car collided head-on into an oil tanker, which was attempting to pass a car at the time. The driver of the tanker was not injured.

In London, a baby girl had been born the previous day in a movie theater, where the mother had been watching "Don't Bother To Knock". A female usher had served as emergency midwife.

In Ipswich, England, a 90-year old woman was baptized by the minister of Bethesda Baptist Church in a pool of pale blue water. She said that since she had been 19, she had wanted to be baptized, but was 90 before she could muster the courage.

In Boston, a spot of tea claimed to have been made from leaves missed by revolutionists on December 16, 1773 at the time of the Boston Tea Party, was sipped the previous day in commemoration of the 179th anniversary of the protest against the Stamp Act and its successor acts, a tax imposed by the British on imports of tea. A group of 13 descendants of Revolutionary War families and the British vice-consul toasted one another from 70-year old teacups made in England. Author Edward Rowe Snow said that he had obtained the tea leaves from the late Jefferson Haskell Parker, who had died December 6, 1952, just short of his 100th birthday, and he had claimed to have obtained the leaves from a descendant of a survivor of the Tea Party, who had died in 1846.

In Frankfurt, Germany, U.S. Air Force officials announced this date that a missing tractor and trailer loaded with 18,000 Christmas presents for Bavarian orphans had been found in a Heidelberg parking lot, after it had disappeared en route from Erding Air Base to Heidelberg. Police were told to look for the driver, a sergeant in the Air Force's German labor service. The toys were still aboard the truck so that "Operation Christmas" for the children could proceed. The Air Force was still investigating, but indicated that the supposed theft of the truck and trailer had simply been a misunderstanding.

Emery Wister of The News tells of cold air having hit the Carolinas during the morning, as winter approached, set to begin the following Sunday, with the recorded low of 20 degrees being the lowest recorded at the Municipal Airport since January 18, 1931. The lows had ranged from two degrees at Mt. Mitchell to 30 at Greenville, S.C. The weather forecast called for little change in the temperature in North Carolina this date, through the night and the following day, but said that South Carolina should be a little warmer the following day. The low in Charlotte was predicted as 22, with a high of 44, two degrees higher than the high for the previous day. It was forecast to be clear over both states. The coldest cities in the two states were Asheville and Hickory, both recording 18 during the morning. It had been 21 in Winston-Salem, 30 in Charleston, 27 in Wilmington and 25 at Myrtle Beach. The low in Greensboro had been 16 degrees in the early morning hours, with a high of 38. Greensboro is a city and 16 sounds lower than 18, but have it your way.

In London, the season's first real snow fell during the morning, measuring one to three inches. Cheerio… We feel your pain. But take your damned tea and go sit in the rain.

On the editorial page, "The Confidence of a People" indicates that though the vote in the local bond election had been disappointingly small the prior Saturday, there were strong majorities registered for the 17.8 million dollar bond issue package. The voters had been informed as to why the new schools, a new library, new streets, a new fire station and new water and sewer facilities were needed, and the voters had responded with their approval. It would be years before all of the money would be spent, as careful planning had to occur before construction began. The investment would likely appear smaller five years hence, provided the community continued to grow as it had in the previous decade, resulting in increased property valuations to ease the repayment burden. The vote had established that the people had faith in aggressive expansion of the community, with the test of its imagination coming in the skill with which the new public facilities would be put to the best use of all of the people.

You will be a lot better off if you just end segregation in the public schools, idiots, and realize that people are people.

"Minority Rule Still Holds Sway" indicates that Gerald W. Johnson in This American People had said that the minority consisted of "those who get out and do something toward making government decent, if it is no more than to cast a ballot when election day comes." He had harsh words for those who did not vote, saying that they were not Americans in any real sense, that "they are not anything, so they are not worthy of consideration", that they had no political value, "the same sort of value which swine and beef cattle have".

It had been brought to mind by a couple of news stories during the weekend, one from Washington, which reported that the final tally in the national presidential election on November 4 had broken all prior records, with 61,547,861 votes cast, or 63 percent of the total adult population, in juxtaposition to which was the story on the local Saturday bond election, at which only 8,435 residents of Mecklenburg County had turned out, despite 77,767 voters having voted on November 4. It indicates that obviously a presidential election stirred more interest than a bond election, but that the very core of the American political system was the proper functioning of government at the local level, including schools, streets, water and sewer facilities, libraries, and fire stations, all of which had been at stake in the bond election.

"A Workable Plan for Auto Inspection" indicates that Governor-elect William B. Umstead had not, to the newspaper's knowledge, expressed anything regarding the subject of automobile inspections, that it hopes that he would favor them, as had Governor Kerr Scott. The backing of the Governor did not necessarily mean results, as none had taken place under Governor Scott. But if a sound and workable plan would be proposed by the Governor and the people placed pressure on the General Assembly, then something might take place. It recommends that the 1953 General Assembly take up the matter and re-institute inspection laws, tried for two years between 1947 and 1949 and then abandoned for complaints over long DMV waiting lines, to reduce mechanical failures and accidents resulting from them.

"Uncle Should Pick up This Tab" indicates that the trip of President-elect Eisenhower to Korea was paid for by the Government, but was only one part of the transfer of Administrations, that it took office space, administrators, clerks, telephone calls and telegrams to prepare for an orderly transfer of power. But the Government did not pick up those additional expenses. President-elect Eisenhower had to maintain his headquarters at the Commodore Hotel in New York, consisting of 43 rooms and some 60 persons on staff, costing $20,000 per week.

The previous week, Congressman Hugh Scott of Pennsylvania, who was raising funds to meet the transition expenses, said that the Republican Party should not have to finance what was no longer a political campaign. The piece agrees and believes that the Government ought to pick up the bill. Mr. Scott indicated that he accepted no contributions of more than $500 each, which the piece thinks ought discourage those who wished to buy their way into favor.

Previously, the Government had been much smaller and cheaper when a transition between parties had last arisen in 1932, and even then, Governor Franklin Roosevelt had his gubernatorial offices and staff in Albany at his disposal. It favors Congress doing something about the problem and reducing thereby the possibility of purchasing influence, by setting up a fund for incoming Presidents to use in assembling a new Administration.

A piece by A. Z. F. Wood, Jr., writing in the Daily Tar Heel, the UNC student newspaper, titled "Football Fever", indicates that UNC had a lousy football season in 1952, its third in a row, and that the freshmen were disillusioned, cheerleaders were crestfallen because no one would cheer, alumni were indignant and ashamed, and out of state students were afraid to go home lest they be subjected to humiliating ridicule.

During the week, the students had bewailed the fact that they were ranked 69th among college football teams in the Williamson System and were not even mentioned in the Associated Press and the United Press top-twenty polls—as well, at 2-6, they would not be. Professors, seeking to be popular with the students, made jocular remarks about the high school team which had played in Kenan Stadium the prior Saturday, referring to the UNC team, and local newspapers speculated on what was to be done about the head coach, Carl Snavely.

He wonders whether it was a university, a high school or a football factory, and expresses consternation that no one seemed too proud of the fact that UNC was rated high as an institution of higher learning, that eleven of its departments were rated in the top ten in the country. Nor did anyone seem to care that Chapel Hill was deemed one of the cultural centers of the United States or that first-class professors were attracted to the campus even at relatively low salaries. Nor had anyone remarked on how pretty the place was.

He says that he was sick of football, that it was no longer a game, and that he was looking forward to UNC losing a few more games until the "sport" got knocked down a couple of pegs, the bookies went broke, the scalpers got stuck, and people played for the fun of it, just as with ping-pong, hop-scotch and mumblety-peg.

As previously noted in an editorial, coach Snavely, who had enjoyed quite a bit of success earlier in his tenure, had resigned at the end of the third consecutive miserable season, a victim to a large degree of his earlier success. His successor would do no better, fulfilling the ambition of Mr. Wood, a sentiment held still by many at the school to this day, as is obvious by the erratic records posted through time and times and the usually relatively short tenures of coaches, current coach Mack Brown, who during two tenures at the school, has just completed his first new season after a previous ten-year stretch, set next season to become the first UNC football coach to coach for longer than eleven seasons, that previous honor held by Bill Dooley, coach between 1967 and 1977, inclusive.

Football—it's good for the soul. Gets out all those natural male aggressive tendencies left over from the hunter-gatherer days when survival against the otherwise foredooming elements depended on it. It is far better than slugging someone or hunting poor little Bambi in the woods with an Uzi and telescopic site, and far more proving of one's manhood and ability to take rigorous conditioning, even if one winds up more on the sidelines in the games than on the playing field. You mothers have to understand that about your baby boys, as you have never been one. Bear it in mind.

One also gets to wear that fancy costume, for one's protection, which makes one appear bigger than one actually is. Gird your loins, men, and hit the gridiron each fall. Even President Nixon had played football.

Did we ever tell you about the time, back in 1968, when we read that coach Dooley and star quarterback Gayle Bomar had gone to a Nixon rally on campus? It sorely displeased us, but we did not stop following Tar Heel football as a result, as we realized, even then, that politics and football never mix well. We chose to ignore it, and later had occasion to meet coach Dooley one Saturday morning, before the Wake Forest game in 1971, and he was a very nice man. He asked each of us in the group from whence we hailed. We did not mention his politics as being limp and without power, as with the Deacons his team was about to face. We allowed the sign we were hanging at the time just off the balcony outside the coach's office in the old field house—which had been a cute little thing, we always thought, but they tore it down a few years ago to expand the facilities—, make the statement vicariously. He said that he liked the sign.

Vic Reinemer, associate editor of The News, tells of going deer hunting at Clear Creek in the Tusquitee country along the Appalachian Trail. The party found tracks which were about ten days old, built a fire and sat tight, then split up and headed up the mountain. Mr. Reinemer found a spot with a good view of a cove and a sunny meadow, and he sat quiet, eventually worked up a ridge and found another good stand, where he waited and watched. Then it began to rain and got dark, and he worked his way back to the car. One of the party held a tuft of hair, saying that he had shot off the tip of a deer's tail. That had been the only shot anybody had fired all day. They would have felt better had they been able to take more shots and better yet had they brought home venison. But they felt good anyway after a day of hunting in the mountains. The old woodsman with them said that he supposed it was a typical day in deer country.

Drew Pearson provides answers to various G.I.s and their relatives who had written him from various points around the globe. One cablegram from 55 members of the 322nd Signal Battalion in Darmstadt, Germany, had indicated that Pan American Airways had forced cancellation of a contract between the 55 G.I.s and Sabena Airlines of Belgium for a chartered plane to take them home for Christmas, after they had waived their right to government transportation for the month of December. After they had protested, Pan Am had called them "emotional kids". Mr. Pearson responds that investigation showed that their claim was accurate, that Pan Am had brought pressure on the British, French, Dutch, as well as on Sabena Airlines to cancel 30 other chartered Christmas flights, warning that each airline could be fined $50,000 pursuant to a regulation which forbade cut-rate competition, a regulation which Pan Am threatened to invoke to stop G.I. Christmas flights. The other airlines had gotten cold feet and left the G.I.s stranded in Europe, with only one chartered liner having ignored the warning and made its scheduled flight. Pan Am had hoped to force the G.I.s to fly home on their planes at regular commercial rates, amounting to $100-$250 extra for each G.I., depending on how many chartered a particular flight. The Air Force had promised the column that any "special mission" planes sent to Europe during December would pick up the stranded G.I.s on the way back home. The Air Force had also contacted several unscheduled airlines, which did not fall under the regulations, to help in the transport. Most of the stranded G.I.s, in consequence, would be able to get home for Christmas.

Three enlisted men aboard the seaplane tender U.S.S. Duxbury Bay wrote him that for the 215 enlisted men aboard the ship, they had four shower stalls, only three of which operated and were turned on only one hour per day. Most of the time, the sailors only had two washboards with which to wash up and all of the men were provided only 15 minutes in the morning to do so, having to work two hours for every five minutes they were late for duty. He indicates that the ship was supposed to have 18 washbasins and nine showers for the enlisted men, as compared to 12 washbasins and six showers for ten officers, and that if even all of those facilities were working, it still left 12 enlisted men to each washbowl and 26 to each shower, as compared to less than two officers to a washbowl and three to a shower. He suggests that the officers might accommodate the enlisted men to provide more elbow room around the washbowls.

A service mother from Denver had written that her son had served two years with the Marines, 11 months of that time having been in Korea, had been slightly wounded by shrapnel on "Heartbreak Ridge", and had less than a year before his enlistment was up, but, nevertheless, had been shipped to Camp Pendleton, California, for assignment back to Korea. She wondered whether there was a regulation against that further duty in Korea on such short time remaining. Mr. Pearson responds that enlisted men below the rank of sergeant were not supposed to be shipped to Korea if they had less than eight months left to serve, even if they had never gone to Korea. But both the Army and Marines had been ignoring the regulation and shipping men to Korea despite it. He suggests raising the matter with the proper authorities.

Governor Stevenson, in meeting with the President the previous week, had remarked that the previous July, he had been convinced that no Democrat could beat General Eisenhower, but that during the campaign, he had foolled himself into believing that he had a real chance to win. Looking back on it, he had realized that he had been right in July.

The architect of the Capitol, David Lynn, was basing seating plans for the inauguration on the Hagerstown Almanac and its weather forecast, relied upon by Maryland farmers. The weather was predicted by it to be cloudy and moderately cool on January 20. The worse the weather was, the smaller the grandstand had to be.

Ann Sawyer of The News tells of the "dark, catacomb-like atmosphere" of the interior of the Mecklenburg County Courthouse, in contrast to the "graceful Grecian architecture" of the exterior. Recently, a visitor from Boston had asked inside the Courthouse where City Hall was and an employee had pointed out the window toward it, prompting the visitor to ask where, because she could not see through the begrimed window. That was a typical reaction. The previous week, members of the Mecklenburg Grand Jury took their semi-annual tour of the building and made the same report they had for years prior to that time, finding its blackened walls, inadequate lighting, peeling ceilings, unswept floors, leaky faucets, and nightmarish rooms the same as in the past. This time, a ray of hope for cleaning the Courthouse occurred when the County Commissioners indicated their willingness to clean up the building. Two old-timers, however, regarded such discussion as a huge joke, as they had been hearing such promises for a long time. Many employees described the condition of the building as a disgrace. Some had begun working there in 1927 when it was completed and were unable to remember any cleaning ever done in their offices. Some of the offices had been washed, and about six months earlier, most of the rooms on the third floor, where the jail was located, had been painted.

Robert C. Ruark, at sea, tells of a widow he met aboard ship, who had been a secretary in Detroit since the war when her husband had been killed. One day, she had quit her job, withdrawn her small savings from the bank and booked passage on the ship, heading vaguely for Italy, where she did not know what she would do, whether she would work or not. She spoke no other language than English and had about enough money to last a year, at which point she would begin to worry. He saw her as reasonably brave to strike out alone into a completely new world with her possessions in one trunk and a question mark ahead.

He had met another person, a man who brought his wife, his car and his cat, and was going to live in the Canary Islands, which he had never seen, but liked the description he had heard from a travel agent. He was 53, with a broken back in three places, had been a flier in the first world war and had enlisted as a private in the paratroopers in the second world war, at age 44, when he busted his back. He had taught himself to walk again and was in fair shape. One day, he had become fed up with New York, and the Spanish tourist agency suggested Tenerife, after which he went home and told his wife to pack. Three weeks later they were on the boat. That, too, took some special courage, even if it was foolhardy to start over again at age 53.

The ship was full of countesses and such, and one man had exhausted all of the golf courses in America and now was going to start on those in Europe. One individual had an atomic invention which would keep the bomb hot or cool, which one, Mr. Ruark could not recall. And he goes on describing other passengers, including a Portuguese naval captain who did nothing but ride ships to ensure that everyone was nice to his nationals, and all of the people seemed to like one another, as they beamed at each other every day. "It has been a long time since I saw anybody beam. I find it unusual, but nice."

"Better English" asks five questions, the answers to which be: 1. "I have become reconciled with conditions, as they are presently." 2. A-geele 3. Trick question. They all should be spelled with "-ible" at the end, not "-able". 4. To consume meat avariciously 5. Liberious.

Speaking of which, we was up heya listenin' today some to this boy from Georgie again, befo' the House Rools Comitee, and we sweya he is smawwwwt as a whip. One point, he say, look heya, now, when we "collaborate" the facts with the testimoney, o' somethin' along those lines, they just don't add up to a crime. Yeah. He's just sayin what weya thinkin' and rite in to the Fox News all the time. It's incredable. He uses all them big words so good to say it, too, that we wind up just boggle-minded by him. We cain't tell what half of what he meens to meen by 'em, 'cause he's talkin' so fast. But that's okay, 'cause he's bogglin' all theya minds up theya. You can tell. And that's why he done got elected, to boggle theya minds up theya, bringin' the people's message ova to the people theya. We culd just listen to him faw howas and howas, 'cause it meks us go to the liberry and ask the liberrian 'bout the words he's usin'. They never herd of some of 'em eitha, so that tells ye right dere just how smawt he is. It's beyond belief. He's not gonna collaborate with the collomeration, that's for sua. All that Consittushun stuff jest mek ye hed spin. He wan't even co'elate with 'em. He's just went on down the road again, faw they even knew what wa' goin' on.

Framed Edition
[Return to Links
Page by Subject] [Return to Links-Page by Date] [Return to News<i><i><i>—</i></i></i>Framed Edition]
Links-Date Links-Subj.