The Charlotte News

Saturday, September 3, 1955


Site Ed. Note: The front page reports from Jerusalem that new Israeli-Egyptian warfare had erupted this date on the tense Gaza frontier, ending a two-day lull under an unofficial cease-fire. An official Egyptian spokesman in Cairo said that an Israeli armored force had attacked an Egyptian post in the northern area of the Gaza Strip, with 22 Israelis believed killed and many others wounded, and no Egyptian casualties. The Israelis, however, confirmed no such record of casualties, having announced earlier that a heavy artillery duel had shattered the silence in the same northern end of the bloody area, with an Israeli spokesman indicating that the exchange had been precipitated by the shelling of Israeli settlements at Beeri and Yad Mordechai by Egyptian outposts. The Egyptian account said that four armored halftracks led the Israeli attack and that two had been destroyed, that the Israeli forces had attacked an Arab refugee camp near Gaza but had retreated under heavy Egyptian fire. The Israelis had sent word to Cairo on Thursday that they would observe a cease-fire, provided the Egyptians would refrain from violence, and Egypt had said that it had agreed on Tuesday to abide by the cease-fire sought by Maj. General E. L. M. Burns, the chief U.N. truce negotiator in Palestine, though there had been no official acceptance of a cease-fire by both sides. Israeli sources said that Egyptian infiltrators had dynamited wells in settlements near the Gaza area on Thursday and Friday nights, but no major violence had been reported until the morning of this date. The two-day lull had followed nine days of warfare, including use of jet planes, which had caused casualties estimated as high as 61 dead and 91 wounded. Pledges of military support to Egypt in the event of increased hostilities between Egypt and Israel had been offered by neighboring Arab states.

In Hong Kong, British police had issued a murder conspiracy warrant against a Chinese man presently in Formosa, in connection with the crash of an airliner which had resulted in the deaths of eight Communist Chinese officials the prior April 11, along with the deaths of eight other passengers, aboard the Air India liner which had plunged into the South China Sea while en route to the Asian-African conference at Bandung, Indonesia. The eight Chinese officials were to be delegates at the conference. The last stop of the plane had been in Hong Kong before the crash, and immediately following the crash, Communist China had charged that "secret agents" of the United States and Nationalist China had sabotaged the plane in an attempt to assassinate Communist Chinese Premier Chou En-lai and other Communist Chinese delegates to the conference. That charge had been rejected by the U.S. as "ridiculous" and "utter nonsense". Britain had accused Communist China of seeking to make political propaganda out of the crash without waiting first for a proper investigation of it. Police said that the man charged in the warrant had worked as a coolie, cleaning airliners which stopped in Hong Kong. He had departed by air from Hong Kong for Formosa on May 18. The Hong Kong Government stated that it had been informed by the Communist Chinese that trouble might be made by Chinese Nationalist sympathizers during the stopover in Hong Kong by the plane, but also stated that there was no suggestion of possible sabotage and that "appropriate precautions" had been taken to prevent harm to the passengers at the airport. On May 27, following the crash, the Hong Kong Government announced that an Indonesian inquiry committee had established that an explosion in the wing of the aircraft had occurred and was the result of sabotage, Indonesia having jurisdiction over the matter as the plane had crashed over Sarawak, Borneo, not far from Indonesia.

In New York, General Douglas MacArthur, on the tenth anniversary of the formal surrender of Japan at the end of World War II, said that he had personally saved Emperor Hirohito of Japan from trial and execution after he had been placed on the lists of accused war criminals of the war, as drawn up by other countries who fought with the Allies. His statement came during a friendly meeting with Japanese Foreign Minister Namoru Shigematsu, present in the U.S. on a four-day visit, who had signed the original formal surrender documents aboard the U.S.S. Missouri on September 2, 1945. General MacArthur said that the Emperor had been willing to assume full responsibility for his country's conduct in the war, including that for the actions of every military commander and every statesman of his country, and that whatever the judgment as to his fate, he would assume all responsibility. The General said that he violently protested when Hirohito's name appeared on the list, and that his protests were heeded in Washington and finally everywhere else. One of his arguments had been that as a result of the devotion of the Japanese people to the Emperor, "his trial and execution would have necessitated an additional million troops successfully to carry out the occupation of Japan." He said that Hirohito had "contributed the most to the happy results which came after the signing of the peace treaty." He believed that the Emperor's part had "never been adequately or fairly portrayed."

In Philadelphia, as indicated in the note of the previous day, the death of the daughter of the vice-president of Food Fair Stores, one of the largest grocery chains in the country at the time, had been ruled by the City medical examiner as having been the result of "an unsuccessful attempt at abortion", with the medical examiner asking the district attorney's office to find "the perpetrators of the homicide". He said that the abortion was not completed but that there had been an attempt by "the insertion of foreign bodies", and that it could not have been done by the young woman, herself. She was determined to be at the time approximately 6 to 7 weeks pregnant. She had eloped the previous June 24 in Georgia with a Miami Beach motorcycle police officer. Her mother did not testify but it appeared from the other witness testimony that she and her daughter, on the night of August 22, had gone to an apartment in North Philadelphia, wherein resided a bartender and his wife, and that it was there that her daughter died. An assistant district attorney who had assisted in the questioning of ten witnesses at the inquest said afterward that during the early part of the following week, his office would determine a course of action.

In Old Fort, N.C., a white man had beaten two black men in separate incidents, according to the local police chief, who denied that there was racial tension in the community. The incident had prompted Governor Luther Hodges to issue a statement deploring violence. One of the black men had sought the previous week to register black children at the consolidated school for white children in the town, and the other man was the husband of a teacher, but neither had elected to swear out a warrant charging assault against the white man. The police chief said that the incidents had nothing to do with the school segregation issue, that the man who had sought to register the five black children had been knocked into a water fountain. The man had been informed by the Board of Education that there would be no integration of the public schools during the current school year and that a committee was studying the problems raised by Brown v. Board of Education, outlawing segregation in the public schools. The other victim of the beating the previous day was a janitor. The name of the assailant was not disclosed by authorities, as no charges had been brought against him. The Governor said that he deplored violence or lawlessness in any form, and did not believe that it was the "North Carolina way of handling the situation." He urged calm and restraint "in these trying times." The man who had sought to register the five children had asked the sheriff at nearby Marion for protection because he did not want to be beaten again, and quoted the sheriff as telling him that his officers would see that "things were peaceful." He said that he had been sitting on the rim of a fountain in the center of town when the white man walked over to him and started beating on him, knocking him into the fountain, that a crowd of 40 or 50 black and white people had observed the assault, with the police chief adding that the crowd consisted mainly of railroad workers who showed no partiality and were just observing out of curiosity, none of them being permanent residents of the community. The man who was the victim of the beating said that he had appeared with the assailant before the mayor the prior day and stated that he did not intend to swear out a warrant, quoting the assailant as having stated that he thought the victim had made a "smart remark" at the time he shoved him into the fountain, but that the incident was now forgotten as far as the victim was concerned. The victimized janitor said that the same white man had approached him as he was going to work and accused him of sending the other victim to the white school to try to enroll black children, and also accused him of planning to have his wife apply for a job in a white school, that the janitor had denied both claims, asking the man where he heard the claims, prompting the eventual assailant to say that if the janitor would meet him downtown at noon, he would introduce him to the source of the claims, at which point the janitor kept the appointment, whereupon the assailant approached him aggressively, saying, "Don't you come on me," at which point he struck the janitor in the chin. It certainly appears that there was nothing at all racial about the attacks. There is absolutely no evidence of any racial tension in that community regarding school integration.

In Burlington, N.C., 22 major trucking lines of the Carolinas and Virginia were reported to have reached agreement with the Teamsters Union this date on a new six-year contract, with the results of the union members voting on the contract to be announced this night. The proposed contract provided for an increase of a half-cent per mile or more for the first year for over-the-road drivers, and additional increases in subsequent years, which would reportedly increase average weekly earnings from $120 to $130. In addition, an increase of 35 cents per hour, to an average of $1.68, for pickup and delivery drivers, and a guarantee of 45 hours of work and minimum weekly earnings of $75.60 were included. Also included was an increase of 35 cents per hour, to an average of $1.53, for dockworkers or warehousemen, with a guarantee of 45 hours work and a minimum weekly wage of $68.85. There were also several fringe benefits in the proposed agreement, such as improved insurance coverage and a new pension plan. James R. Hoffa of Detroit, a vice-president of the Teamsters, had represented the union during the negotiations, but could not be reached for comment on the agreement. He still cannot be.

In Ocean Grove, N.J., the Reverend Billy Graham, preaching a series of Labor Day weekend sermons in the town, told a capacity audience the previous night that they were witnessing "the beginning of the passing of communism." He would deliver his second sermon this night, with thousands of followers from Canada to Florida again expected to jam the community to hear him. He had recently returned from Europe, where he found that Communism had lost its appeal to the masses in most countries where he had visited, saying that the world wanted "something authoritative, something it can sink its teeth into. It wants a flag to follow, a creed to believe, a song to sing."

We venture that the song would be "Love Me Tender" or, possibly, "Heartbreak Hotel". Give it another year and you will see that we are quite perspicacious in that observation.

In Atlanta, a 57-year old North Carolina man, who had spent three days without food or water inside a locked railroad boxcar, said that he would not try hoboing again. He said that he had climbed into the empty car at Gastonia, hoping to reach a veterans hospital in Georgia, and had been unable to attract attention of railroad workers from inside the locked boxcar until he reached Atlanta, where he was provided food and water and then taken before a Municipal Court judge, before whom the railroad officials said that they thought he had been punished enough, causing the judge to provide him a 60-day suspended sentence. The man said he had ridden freight trains all of his life but that he was now through with that life, would ride the coaches henceforth and be glad to pay.

In Omaha, a judge pondered the appropriate sentence for three men charged with traffic violations when they failed to appear the previous day and had sent in their stead their wives to represent them. The judge decided to hear from the women and listened to each one plead guilty to a charge of speeding on behalf of her husband, the judge then indicating that for every dollar he fined each husband, each wife would receive a like amount for new clothing, then asking one wife whether $15 plus costs was acceptable, prompting her to laugh, saying that it was fine because it was the cost of a new dress. He initially fined the second husband $20 plus costs, with his wife indicating it would mean no Labor Day fishing trip for the family, causing the judge to reduce the fine to $10, provided the wife made her husband sit in the backseat on the trip and that she drove while the children were in the front seat, to which she agreed. He also fined the third husband $10 and ordered the wife to do the driving for awhile, until she indicated that she could not drive, prompting the judge to say that her husband could drive but that she would have to take a rolling pin along and give him a crack on the head for each mile he went over the speed limit. The judge then asked another defendant appearing before him whether he would like his wife also to appear for him, to which that defendant declined the offer, saying that he did not want his wife to know anything about the matter. This lawless judge promotes domestic violence.

The heatwave besetting Southern California continued this date after breaking a record for Los Angeles two days earlier when the temperature reached 110, hitting 108 the previous day. Ten deaths and more than 100 cases of heat prostration had been reported in the region, with mounting losses in poultry and agriculture. A high of 104 was forecast for Los Angeles this date, and the heat was expected to continue also through the following day. Five persons had died the previous day in La Habra, 22 miles southeast of Los Angeles, injuring 11 others, and the day before, a fire at San Dimas, 25 miles east of Los Angeles, had destroyed 12 homes and damaged scores of others, with five other deaths attributable to the heat reported on Thursday, with several persons who were elderly having collapsed from heat prostration and were in critical or serious condition. National Civil Defense director Val Peterson had declared the area a disaster area, permitting farmers who had lost poultry and rabbits to apply for disaster loans, after it was estimated that the heat had resulted in the loss of three million dollars worth of chickens and rabbits. Some lemons and Valencia oranges had suffered damage and isolated damage had been reported to vegetables, including tomatoes and string beans. Some nursery stock had been burned, but the 20 million dollar per year cut flower crop had not been hard hit yet. Los Angeles, which received a plentiful supply of water from the distant Colorado River and the high Sierra Mountains, continued to use unprecedented amounts of water, but less fortunate neighboring communities reported shortages. Residents near the base of the Hollywood Hills had been urged to curtail lawn sprinkling so that residents higher up might have sufficient water pressure to meet their demands. Suburban Monrovia declared a state of emergency, curtailing water use by banning lawn sprinkling or irrigation between 4:00 and 8:00 p.m. Other communities also sought water conservation from residents. People flocked to the beaches by the thousands, requiring an extra shift of lifeguards who maintained jeep patrols until midnight at Santa Monica, as crowds continued to jam the strand after dark.

On the editorial page, "Taxes Are No Worry to Some" provides some additional facts to the editorial of the previous day regarding the need to collect delinquent taxes in the city by use of every legal weapon at the command of the tax collector. The amount of uncollected taxes from 1954, totaling nearly $251,000, represented 4.3 percent of the total levy of taxes for that year locally, just over five million dollars. During the period between 1945 and 1953, a total of $323,000 had not been paid.

Thus, it concludes again that if those taxes had been paid, the 1955 tax bills would have been much less, and so again recommends more vigorous use of wage garnishment or levies on salaries and property of delinquents, to encourage payment.

"New Violence Sprouts from Old Seed" tells of the U.N. truce teams having persuaded the Israelis and Arabs to put away their mutual animosities in 1949 at the time of the armistice, but that the argument between them had never been settled and so they had once again reached loggerheads as resentments and anger long repressed had burst open into new violence.

It suggests that the only hope for peace was a general settlement of the issues, including boundaries, refugees and recognition, left unresolved by the 1949 truce. In tendering its good offices in the dispute, the U.S. had recognize the basic problems, but the response of both sides indicated an unwillingness to bargain further, a reluctance founded in mutual distrust and stubbornly maintained. But in light of the reports of Russian offers of arms to the Arabs to enable them to become the military equal of Israel, there was a sobering prospect of full-scale resumed fighting.

Secretary of State Dulles's proposal of the the U.S. offer to aid the settlement by guaranteeing present borders, would enable time to pass and passions to recede.

There was no agreement on the correctness of the present borders, with Jordan claiming Jerusalem despite Israel occupying half of it, while Israel claimed the Gaza Strip, occupied by the Egyptians. During the war, nearly a million Arabs living in Israel had become refugees, and Israel had refused to allow them to return home, contending that repatriation would constitute opening its borders to Arabs who could then work from within Israel to undermine the Government. That fear was not without basis, as the Arabs had never really recognized the right of Israel to exist for fear that the industrial might of the Jews would catapult Israel into the top rank of leadership in the Middle East.

Israel had maintained enough military strength to make the idea of another full-scale war quite unpalatable to the Arabs, but if Russian arms were to increase Arab military strength and nothing was done about the unsettled issues, a broadening of the border conflict could be expected.

It concludes that Secretary Dulles's intervention came none too soon, and that if he pushed it vigorously, perhaps it had not come too late.

"King of the Wild Political Frontier" tells of Davy Crockett, beyond the myth currently being created by song and story, had, as a Representative to Congress from Tennessee been anything but an empty-headed wearer of buckskin, that as a successful political candidate, he had known how to play on the voters' sympathies, just as some of his successors were doing at present.

It finds that several passages from The Life of David Crockett, the Original Humorist and Irrepressible Backwoodsman, sufficed to illustrate Mr. Crockett's knowledge of "pay-off politics". It proceeds to provide an extended quote from Mr. Crockett in that book, such as: "When the day of election approaches, visit your constituents far and wide. Treat liberally, and drink freely, in order to rise in their estimation, though you fall in your own. True, you may be called a drunken dog by some of the silk stocking gentry, but the real roughnecks will style you a jovial fellow; their votes are certain, and frequently count double. Do all you can to appear to advantage in the eyes of the woman. That's easily done—you have but to kiss and slabber their children, wipe their noses, and pat them on the head; this cannot fail to please their mothers, and you may rely on your promises being done in that quarter." He had concluded that the few directions, thus quoted, would do the candidate's business and that once selected, "why a fig for the dirty children, the promises, the bridges, the churches, the taxes, the offices, for it is absolutely necessary to forget all these before you can become a thoroughgoing politician, and a patriot of the first water."

A piece from the Fort Myers News-Press in Florida, titled "Phony Orators", tells of the Washington Post & Times Herald having bemoaned the passing of the political orator of previous times in the age of campaigning via television, noting that such orators remained in Congress but were rarely heard on the radio and never on television, where the latter allowed phoniness to occur by use of teleprompters enabling the candidate to look people in the eye, appearing to speak to them directly and extemporaneously, while actually reading the speech from large words on a screen out of the range of the camera. It also permitted the art of makeup to remove bags from beneath the eyes, eliminate wrinkles and grow hair on a bald head. There was also present now the "ghost interview", which enabled an off-camera interviewer to ask the candidate staged questions, enabling him or her to provide prepared answers, "the top phony of all." Often, the interviewer and the candidate were not even recorded together, but separately and the two pieces of film edited together. That would enable the candidate to appear as a big wheel in Washington, by seeming to take questions from a Cabinet official or other high government official, when in fact the two had not even met.

The piece suggests that perhaps it did no actual harm, as if there were no television, the candidate, no doubt, would be seeking in other ways to build him or herself up before the public. But on television, voters could not be sure whether the face they saw was that of the candidate or a cosmetician, "whether the words that are spoken and the thoughts that are expressed are his or another's."

Drew Pearson's column, continuing to be written by staff while Mr. Pearson was on vacation, tells of "methodology" being government "gobbledygook" for human relations between employer and employee, according to Frank Petrie, dean of the Government's efficiency experts, currently chief of the training division of the Civil Aeronautics Administration, seeking to maximize the production from personnel. His system was to provide a better understanding to supervisory officials and their subordinates in getting the latter to like their jobs. He had been so successful at CAA that other Federal agencies had copied his technique, and 50 colleges and universities had used his ideas as standard reference in their business administration courses. His basic philosophy was that barring absolute dunces, every employee was efficient if that person liked the job they were doing. If the employee did not like the job, it was frequently because he could not get along with the boss, who was frequently at fault because he did not know how to manage others or to make them more efficient and happier in the job. He said that in those cases, he gave the boss a new technique for instructing subordinates and keeping everyone happy in the process. Sometimes the employee was at fault for being out of sorts generally, and those situations also had to be handled.

Representative Joseph Tumulty of New Jersey, who weighed 330 pounds, had received a calorie towel from a constituent, showing him how to reduce, causing the Congressman to throw up his hands and exclaim: "The only thing that will help me is vanishing cream."

Representative Augustine Kelley was the top dad in Congress, with nine children, but Representative Charles Boyle of Illinois was a close second with eight.

Representative Torbert MacDonald of Massachusetts, former Harvard football captain who had given up a promising career as a baseball pitcher with the New York Yankee organization, was one of many former sports figures in the Congress. Senator Estes Kefauver had been a football star at the University of Tennessee. Representative Leo Allen of Illinois had starred in football at the University of Michigan. Representatives Clarence Brown of Ohio and Usher Burdick of North Dakota had also been football stars at their schools. Representative Jack Westland, who occasionally played golf with the President at the Burning Tree club, had been U.S. amateur golf champion before going to Congress. Republican House Leader Joseph Martin had been a promising semipro baseball catcher. The House chaplain, Rev. Bernard Braskamp, had previously played baseball, having said that his most distinctive feat in athletics had been teaching the late Harry Hopkins, key adviser to FDR, how to throw a spitball while they were fellow students at Grinnell College in Iowa.

Walter Lippmann tells of the feeling that for the first time in ten years, there was hope that something might develop from the disarmament talks ongoing at the U.N., not because the U.S. was any nearer agreement regarding the primary stumbling block, adequate inspections, but rather because the Soviet Union and the U.S. had both begun to take a different approach to the subject since the recent Big Four summit meeting in Geneva. There had also been a reappraisal of what ought to be and what could be attempted, along with a redefinition of the issues underlying disarmament. The new conception did not suppose that there would be disarmament, but on the contrary, that there would be a balance of armaments maintained and stabilized. Great Britain's representative at the U.N. had stressed that there was no means of control at present which had been conceived to assure complete effectiveness of security of all states against deception in the nuclear age, and Soviet Premier Nikolai Bulganin had said nearly the same thing after his return from Geneva.

Mr. Lippmann indicates that the value of coming to an agreement on mutual inspection would be that it would establish a new principle, the right of nations to be forewarned of any nation preparing to strike, and eliminating the right of nations to mobilize in secrecy, a noteworthy principle if established.

There had been a frustration of inspection with regard to the neutral nations commission in Korea, not able adequately to inspect North Korea for violations of the 1953 Armistice, but, posits Mr. Lippmann, there was a major difference between the two Koreas and the U.S. and the U.S.S.R., in that in Korea, the local forces were not of vital importance as the truce was being maintained by the great powers, whereas any attempt by either Russia or the U.S. to frustrate inspection would be so alarming as to raise at once the question of war.

Mr. Lippmann says that he had been told that theoretically it would be possible to initiate a sneak attack out of what would have appeared previously to be routine training. Any such sneak attack, however, would have to be a knockout blow to avoid retaliatory strikes. That would mean the necessity of general mobilization in anticipation of a long war. And it would be impossible to be certain that such a sneak attack would be a knockout blow and highly probable that it would not be. Thus, the first aim of the negotiations currently might be to provide for enough inspection to ensure that there could be no large secret mobilization in preparation for a long war.

He deems it wise not to insist on a general comprehensive treaty at present which would cover all of the many complicated issues, but that it would be better to work for a modest, reasonable and concrete agreement regarding early warning, with more agreements to come later. Under the new conception of disarmament, where the balance of arms was maintained, nothing needed to be lost and much might be gained by proceeding incrementally in a series of small agreements.

A letter writer from Cheraw, S.C., indicates that the slogan "Remember Pearl Harbor" would remain with the people for many years, along with the U.S. Government's promise that it would never happen again. He reminds that on December 7, 1941, the Japanese special envoy to Washington, Saburo Kurusu, had been engaging in direct negotiations with Secretary of State Cordell Hull through the time of the actual attack at around 8:00 a.m. Hawaii time, 1:30 p.m. Eastern War Time. The writer says, not getting those details exactly correct, that the U.S. had been brought to its knees by a sneak attack "by a smiling bunch of blood-thirsty war lords of Japan." Yet, there were now "evil forces in the world on the move to do just what Japan and Germany failed to do at that time." He thinks that the Communist forces were infiltrating the U.S. Government and military forces, as well as the courts, preparing for the kill from within. He suggests that they might take Government officials on sightseeing tours of the Soviet Union, smile at the leaders at the summit conference in Geneva, but warns that the people and the Government should not be lulled into disarmament and relaxing of their guard, as the other side would not attack if they were aware that the U.S. was prepared to defend itself. He does not want the Congress ever to agree to allow any administration to destroy the armed forces, and wants all outfits causing hatred among the races, especially in the South, to be checked. He also wants the courts checked if necessary, along with any other branch of government, to determine what could be discovered which looked or smelled like a Communist or anything pertaining to a Communist. He concludes that if the Administration appeared to believe that the country should accept them or their co-partner Communist China, the people thought otherwise.

A letter writer from Gaffney, S.C., believes that the Brown v. Board of Education decision of the Supreme Court was unconstitutional and that the members of the Court had "become the chief agitators of any animosity that may have existed between the two races prior to their ruling." He finds that the decision had caused much misunderstanding among whites and blacks, stirring up strife among the people even to the point of threatened bloodshed. He believes that blacks had forgotten that they had been brought from the "heathen jungles of Africa to this enlightened country" and had "reaped the reward of the white man's labor, and culture and provisions that he has made for the Negro race." He says that he was opposed to slavery, thinks that some of the ignorant white people who talked of the advancement of the black people did not want to hear anything about the advancement of the white people, demonstrating their one-sided desires. He wonders to where they wanted to be advanced and what was the limit, and says that if they wanted to be in Africa, there might be a chance for them to return there. He believes that when slavery was abolished, the former slaves acquired the Constitutional civil rights, but not social rights, that there was nothing in the Constitution guaranteeing any race social equality with another race, that if blacks were after social equality, they would be doomed to disappointment. And, he posits that civil rights ended where they interfered with the rights of others. He finds Brown void because the Supreme Court had no authority to dictate that the people had to mix socially with blacks, favors a national referendum on the matter to settle it "and not be guilty of yielding to dictators."

Let's hold a national referendum on whether to abandon the whole Constitution as being just too complicated for the functional illiterates to understand and abide.

A letter writer wonders why, if blacks had been so persecuted and ill-treated in the South, had they remained there instead of moving to the North to be around people who would be kind to them and treat them as equals, after 90 years of freedom from slavery. He would like a member of the NAACP or some intelligent black person to answer his question.

It is because they like you, in particular, personally, as you are such a nice and enlightened fellow. There is really no one like you in the entire world, and they just have to be physically as close as possible to you.

A letter from the district sales manager of Nationwide Insurance thanks the newspaper and its publisher, Thomas L. Robinson, for their efforts in reviving interest in the driver training program in the City schools in Charlotte, indicating that as a result of those efforts, Harding School had re-started its program and it appeared that such programs would begin throughout the area.

A letter from the chairman of the publicity committee of the Jaycees thanks the newspaper for promoting and publicizing the Carolinas Junior Olympic Swim Meet, held at the Municipal Pool in Charlotte on August 19 and 20.

Did they allow any black entrants, as in the local Soap Box Derby, or would that have been verboten on the notion that black people would have communicated thereby their cooties via the water, potentially turning the whites black, causing them also to like fried chicken and watermelon, despite chlorination, indicative of a "painted ship upon a painted ocean"?

Framed Edition
[Return to Links
Page by Subject] [Return to Links-Page by Date] [Return to News<i><i><i>—</i></i></i>Framed Edition]
Links-Date Links-Subj.