The Charlotte News

Friday, August 19, 1955


Site Ed. Note: The front page reports from Philadelphia that torrential rains had swept northward along the New England coast this date, leaving in their wake one of the worst floods ever to hit the Eastern section of the country, with at least 22 persons having been reported killed and damage estimated in the millions, the rains having come from the remnants of Hurricane Diane after it had spent its fury in the Carolinas. Nine states, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Virginia and New York, plus the District of Columbia, had been hit by flooding. Pennsylvania had the worst death toll, at 14, with eight drownings, four killed in automobile accidents and two electrocuted, while one had drowned in Virginia, one in Rhode Island and two men had been electrocuted by fallen power lines in Massachusetts, with a third killed in a highway accident. In addition, a landslide had killed three in Vermont. The anthracite coal region of Pennsylvania had been one of the hardest hit areas of the state, leaving Scranton, the fourth largest city, without water, forcing the mayor to declare a state of emergency and all businesses and industrial plants ordered closed. The Red Cross had hauled water by truck to that city's six hospitals. The flood waters had burst water mains, creating extreme health and fire hazards. Not far away, the city of Tamaqua, on the banks of the Schuylkill River, also was under emergency orders, with thousands of residents driven from their homes by muddy waters, which had risen to 6 feet in most downtown streets, forcing people to emergency shelters provided by churches and schools. Around nearby Hazleton, 20 miles away, rainfall was probably the highest ever recorded during a 28-hour span, measuring 11.1 inches, forcing the closure of all of the anthracite coal mines in the area. The Weather Bureau reported severe flooding along the entire length of the Delaware River, extending from New York through Eastern Pennsylvania and into a good portion of New Jersey. Crest stages were reported to be about the same or slightly higher than during the great flood of 1903, the last time Tamaqua had been flooded. The Delaware had crested at 25 feet at Port Jervis, N.Y., breaking a dike along the bank, was 38 feet at Easton, Pa., and 32 feet in western New Jersey, where the level was reported at eight feet above flood stage and still rising.

In Raleigh, it was reported by the Weather Bureau at the Raleigh-Durham Airport that rivers in Eastern North Carolina, carrying off the heavy rains brought by Diane, had approached their cresting stages this date, while waters continued to inch upward in downtown areas after crests had already been passed at some upstream locations. A depth of 40.61 feet was recorded on the Cape Fear River at Fayetteville during the morning and very little additional rise was predicted, with flood stage being 35 feet. At Elizabethtown, the Cape Fear stood at 26 feet and was still rising, with a crest of 30 feet, ten feet above flood stage, being forecast for the following day. The Tar River at Tarboro was 16.25 feet during the morning, up a little more than three feet from the previous day, with a crest predicted of 24 feet, five feet above flood stage, for Sunday night. The Neuse River measured 17.1 feet at Neuse during the morning and was dropping, while downstream at Smithfield, the river was measured at 19.5 feet and still rising slightly. The upper Roanoke River had apparently reached its crest at Randolph, Va., with a depth of 26.3 feet recorded.

Damage estimates to North Carolina from the combined Hurricanes Connie and Diane would total between 50 and 75 million dollars, according to the state's civil defense director this date, stressing that the estimate was tentative and that engineers were busy compiling a more definite figure. He said that in addition to wind and water damage on the beaches and heavy flood damage in many coastal towns, there was terrible crop damage, which the State Agriculture commissioner had estimated the previous day to be at least 30 million dollars worth. In Hyde County alone, 10,000 acres, more than a fourth of the county's crop land, had been flooded and ruined by salt water, with flooding reported to a lesser extent in Pamlico and Beaufort Counties, the land not capable of arability again until the salt had been neutralized. The figures compared to 120 million dollars in damage caused the previous October by Hurricane Hazel.

In Miami, Fla., forecasters watched an area of suspicion some 2,500 miles east-southeast of Miami this date, but there was no hint of a new storm yet forming.

In New York, a court-martial this date found Sgt. James Gallagher, 23, guilty of unpremeditated murder of two fellow American prisoners in a Chinese prison camp in Korea and also found him guilty of mistreating and informing on fellow prisoners and with collaborating with the Communist Chinese. He was found not culpable on a charge connected with the death of a third prisoner and for having advised the Chinese to shoot another prisoner. He had been accused of throwing three Americans from a prison camp hut into frigid outside temperatures and leaving them to die. The eight-man court announced the verdicts after nearly 5 hours of deliberations.

In San Francisco, it was reported by the Chronicle that Dr. Sammy Lee, world-famous Korean-American who had twice won an Olympic diving championship, had twice been refused purchase of a home in Garden Grove in Orange County in Southern California. The real estate developers had refused the sale because of Dr. Lee's Korean ancestry. He was presently a major in the U.S. Army. He had announced several months earlier that he planned to practice in the Orange County area after he retired from the Army during the fall, where he was an eye, ear and nose specialist. He had been first refused the sale of a $12,000 tract home, with the salesman indicating to a Chronicle reporter that the people there lived eight feet apart and they were not open-minded, that if they "had a colored or Oriental family" in the development, "all hell would be raised". He said that he would rather have Dr. Lee as his neighbor than half the families in the development, "but if you have one—a nice one—then you'll have others, including a little guy from a produce market who smells like hell." The doctor and his family had sought to purchase another home for $27,000 but the promoter would not sell, saying that he had asked neighbors whether they minded if he sold to the doctor, and that they had not objected but that they expressed the wish that he not make the sale. He said that people next door had moved from Long Beach because Japanese had moved into their neighborhood, and that he had ten lots to sell, that every cent he had earned since he had left the service was in that property. The doctor was finishing up his Army service at Fort Carson in Colorado and told the Chronicle from there that the refusals did not hurt him, but hurt his country, that he would fight as a matter of principle, that he was raised in Southern California and belonged there. He was a graduate of the University of Southern California and had interned in Orange County. He and his wife were expecting their first child soon. He had won the Olympic diving championship in 1948 and 1952 and was serving in Korea the previous year when he was recalled to receive the Sullivan Memorial Award as the man who had contributed most to American amateur athletics in 1953. The State Department had subsequently sent him on a three-month tour of Asia and the Middle East, where he had written from Ceylon to relatives in Orange County that he had an argument the previous night with a rabid Communist who had said that the capitalistic world had subjugated the colored races long enough, that he had then said in reply that if that were so, then why was he, a member of the colored race, a world champion and doctor of medicine.

In Raleigh, it was reported that Assistant Attorney General I. Beverly Lake, who had recently announced his plans to resign effective October 1 and enter private practice, and nine other residents of Wake Forest this date filed incorporation papers for a firm to operate a private "school or schools" in that community, with the schools to be for the purpose of educating "such person or persons as may be accepted by the corporation, in its discretion, for enrollment." In a speech several weeks earlier at Asheboro, Mr. Lake had suggested that communities organize corporations to operate private schools as a means of circumventing the Brown v. Board of Education decision, the implementing decision of which, handed down May 31, Mr. Lake had argued the position of the State, claiming that violence might erupt and that public schools would likely be forced to close should the Court order immediate integration. The Court had ordered that desegregation occur "with all deliberate speed", with the Federal District Courts responsible for approval or not of local school district plans for desegregation, based on local circumstances regarding the various concentrations of population of each race in each community.

In Chicago, the greatest manhunt in the city since the days of gangster John Dillinger had ended the previous night with a cop killer, 26, begging police not to shoot him, but fighting his captors to the end, though unarmed, wrestling with policemen who dragged him out of a tear gas filled third-floor apartment. Within a 72-hour period, the fugitive had allegedly killed one police officer, critically wounded another and terrorized a family for 23 hours, making an apparent gesture of surrender by sticking both hands through an open door, at which point a detective had grabbed one outstretched hand and a patrolman, the other, together yanking him into a narrow hallway, where they battled fiercely until he was handcuffed. His mother told police that he had a passionate hatred for policemen. He was hustled into a squad car under heavy guard and taken to a nearby police station, where milling crowds shouted, "Kill him," as he was taken to jail. He was captured just a block north of the Biltmore Theater, where, Wednesday night, he had critically wounded a police officer in a gun duel and was, himself, wounded in his right thigh. The police officer had sought to arrest the man for the slaying, about 50 hours earlier, of a police detective in a subway station, a murder which the man admitted. It had occurred after the detective had arrested him on a subway train for being wanted in connection with a series of robberies. He had fled the theater and run a block, forcing himself into a second-floor apartment of a man, his wife, and two children. The husband quoted the fugitive as saying that he he had shot a policeman in the Biltmore Theater and that the family had to hide him. For the ensuing 23 hours until his capture, he had kept the family as virtual prisoners, permitting the husband to go to work the previous day to avoid arousing suspicion, the wife indicating that he had acted "like a little god", nervous at first but after calming down, bragging of how he had killed one policeman and wounded another, saying that he was smarter than they were. He had permitted the children to go out to play the previous night and had also permitted the wife to sit on the front steps of the apartment building as was her custom, then, upon the request of the husband, allowed him also to go out, whereupon the couple took their children and moved out of the range of his gunfire from the apartment window, running to a cigar store and calling the police. A few minutes later, he was apprehended. A total of nearly 500 policemen had participated in the hunt.

In Marked Tree, Ark., the Kansas City-Florida Special, a fast Frisco Railroad passenger train, wrecked this date, with several persons reported dead and a number injured. The last two or three cars of the 13-car train had been the ones reported to be in the worst shape, with one coach said to be half demolished and the last part of the dining car having been destroyed. The train had left the rails on a 20-foot embankment southeast of the town's depot. At Memphis, the Railroad said that four cars had been involved, two sleepers, the diner and one coach, with the last four cars of the train remaining on the rails.

In Norfolk, Va., it was reported that the deck swab, which millions of sailors had pushed millions of miles, was on the way out, that after October 1, it would become a mop, according to Navy spokesmen this date. It was likely that sailors who pushed the mop would continue to call it a swab. The Norfolk Naval Supply Center announced the change as being in the interest of armed forces unification, that once all Government agencies used a single description and stock number for items, purchasing, inspection, issue and redistribution of surpluses would be simplified.

On the editorial page, "Military Code Requires Sturdy Beliefs" indicates that the military code proclaimed by the President differed from the old code whereby prisoners of war should provide only their name, rank and serial number, amounting to an admission that loyal and honorable men might weaken if caught by Communist brainwashers. It finds that the new code was not enough for Americans facing such techniques and it hopes that a Washington dispatch had been incorrect in saying that servicemen would be indoctrinated with the new code, finding that education rather than indoctrination was the basis for convictions strong enough to withstand brainwashing.

It suggests that no mentally competent serviceman acquainted with the basic facts of the American and Communist systems of government could choose Communism with any justice to either conscience, common sense or even self-interest. Twenty American prisoners of war had chosen not to repatriate to the U.S. after the end of hostilities in Korea, and three had returned since that time knowing that they would face punishment. The Chinese had hinted that the other 17 were now unhappy.

One of the three returnees had said that he had gone through a course on Communism during basic training but that it had not covered anything in terms of what to anticipate, having suggested the expectation of torture and killing, but that when one was actually caught, the first thing they did was to run to the person and shake their hand and pat them on the back.

It finds the statement to have the ring of truth and that whether or not it explained what made the soldier a sucker, it was true that Communists were adept in verbal as well as physical persuasion, such that Americans had to be equipped with something more than physical strength and indoctrination if they were to live up to the President's new military code. That would include a thorough elucidation of American governmental and Constitutional principles, as well as a thorough explanation of Communist procedures. It finds that it was no secret that many Americans had little conception of the principles of democracy and that it could not be assumed that they would willingly give their lives, as the code asked, for something they did not understand.

"Support Program Deliberately Misused" indicates that Congressional investigators had taken on the Administration regarding the farm price support program, with a House subcommittee, led by North Carolina's Representative L. H. Fountain, having found that the Agriculture Department's handling of matters involving 90 million pounds of cheese and about two million dollars of the taxpayer money had been strange. It suggests that Mr. Fountain was too polite to accuse Administration farm officials of any intentional wrongdoing, but had asked for a ruling by Comptroller General Joseph Campbell, which was handed down during the week, with Mr. Campbell saying that the cheese transaction was "unauthorized and improper."

It indicates that it was that and more, as the taxpayers had been taken for a large sum of money from which some private businessmen had received an undeserved windfall, illustrating some of the basic weaknesses in a system which permitted all types of economic manipulation from Washington. About 100 distributors had been involved in transactions taking place in March and April, 1954, arising when Secretary of Agriculture Ezra Taft Benson had determined to lower the Government's price support for cheese from 90 to 75 percent of parity on April 1 of that year, prompting distributors to seek to unload all the cheese they could on the Government before the support level fell. To keep the cheese in channels where it would be readily available to consumers, according to the Department, it arranged a program called "purchase-resale transactions", whereby it paid distributors for the cheese at the old fixed support level of 90 percent and then sold it back to them at the new 75 percent adjustable-rate in a series of paper transactions. One large cheese company had made about $700,000 on the deal.

It indicates that Mr. Campbell's ruling held that the price of dairy products could be supported only by means of purchases or loans, noting that the Government had committed itself to resell the cheese to the original owners without ever holding a property interest in it, amounting to a deliberate misuse of the program designed to benefit the farmer and the nation's overall economy.

It concludes that the lost taxpayer money in the transaction ought be recovered from the companies if it was still legally possible to do so.

"Preparing for Old Stepmother Nature" indicates that for whatever reason, the Carolinas coastline had become a favorite target for tropical storms which had previously hit Florida, and the time had come to discuss plans for long-range hurricane protection, as discussed the previous day by Governor Luther Hodges in the wake of Hurricanes Connie and Diane hitting the coast around Wilmington back to back, within less than a week of one another, following Hurricane Hazel of the previous mid-October.

It indicates that Florida had met the situation years earlier with wise, practical measures, such as protection of seaside areas which suffered erosion whenever a storm hit, and the construction of residences and other buildings to meet hurricane-proof standards.

The previous year, three major hurricanes had struck portions of the upper Eastern Seaboard, taking 274 lives and causing more than a billion dollars worth of damage. During the current year thus far, the Carolinas had taken the brunt of the two tropical storms and some experts stated that the most dangerous part of the hurricane season was yet to come. It indicates that for the present, North Carolinians could only batten down the hatches and hope that the forecasts were wrong, but that before another season came around, the state should plan to make the coastal areas more secure against "Old Stepmother Nature".

A piece from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, titled "The Long Ball Isn't Everything", indicates that the latest unofficial intelligence from the Burning Tree golf club in Washington was that the President's tee shots were improving, evidently as a result of greater opportunities for practice now that Congress was not in session. Information had been gathered from caddies and golfing companions of the President, suggesting that he was now making drives of 200 yards or better, which squared with reports from Gettysburg, where the President was working with a club professional. Recently, he had hit five balls, one of which he had driven 230 yards straight down the middle.

It indicates that it would be good news for anyone who had ever taken up golf, as even the most rabid political partisan would not want such a thrill withheld from the President, weighted with so many burdens. But the long ball was not everything and did not necessarily mean a low score, as the drive was only the beginning of the play, with the pitch and putt also being important, on which the President was reportedly erratic.

Woodrow Wilson had something of the same difficulty with his short game, it having been recounted that he had once taken 26 strokes on a par-3 hole while caddies and companions, including Mrs. Wilson, looked on in shocked silence. It suggests that perhaps the President had that story in mind when he had installed on the White House lawn the pitch-and-putt green.

Drew Pearson indicates that it was exactly four years earlier that a truck caravan had proceeded through the German countryside to the edge of the border with Czechoslovakia to launch balloons carrying messages behind the Iron Curtain, an operation inspired by Mr. Pearson. In the party had been Harold Stassen, C. D. Jackson, later the psychological warfare adviser to the Eisenhower White House, Abbott Washburn, presently the number two man in the U.S. Information Service, and Mr. Pearson. He recounts that they had parked in a wheat field just under the lee of the hills which bordered Czechoslovakia and began stuffing leaflets into the balloons, filling them with helium and letting them float until the prevailing winds caught them and carried them at the rate of 30 mph into Czechoslovakia. The first balloon had been launched at around 1:00 a.m. amid drizzling rain, which continued most of the night, soaking the party to the skin. By the time dawn came, some 2,000 balloons, carrying an average of 600 leaflets each, had been launched. They then drove back to Munich and waited for the reaction from the Communist Government in Prague, but five days passed without word and they sent up more balloons, still with no response. Finally, an explosion of protests erupted and indignation began to come from the Czech Government. He indicates that if the Communists had been smarter, they would have kept quiet about the matter, making them think that the balloons had never arrived.

A cartoon had appeared on page one of the leading Communist newspaper showing Harry Truman sending balloons into Czechoslovakia. Premier Zapotocky had delivered a speech in the parliament blasting the effort and word came back through refugees and the American Embassy that the balloon leaflets had been tacked up on telephone poles, fastened on bulletin boards, placed in baggage racks of trains and even mimeographed and distributed wherever anti-Communists knew they would be seen. Later, official protests came from the Czech Government to the U.S. Government, demanding that the balloons be stopped. The U.S. responded that it was a private matter over which the Government had no control.

Mr. Pearson recounts that he had proposed the matter in a newspaper column of July 21, 1948 and it then took three more years of talking and arguing before they could obtain permission to undertake the operation. By the fourth anniversary of the balloon barrage, a total of 400 tons of printed matter had been dropped on Czechoslovakia and Hungary by balloon, including 200 million leaflets, with the Crusade for Freedom and the Committee for Free Europe deserving the credit. He concludes that it showed what people could do when they really worked to penetrate the Iron Curtain.

A letter writer comments on the editorial, "The Scarecrow in Uptown Charlotte", regarding the outdated railway station of the Southern Railway, indicating that the decaying condition of the depot only indicated the dwindling railroad passenger service in and out of Charlotte, that the lackadaisical approach by Southern to its rail passenger service was very discouraging and was sufficient to drive people to take their chances in the air or on the highways. He indicates that Southern would close the passenger depot and drop its passenger business completely if it could. He therefore advises checking to see how many people actually went through the depot and whether a new one would simply become an empty barn within 10 to 15 years if it were built.

A letter from the editor of the Brunswick Sentinel of Shallotte finds it a sad day for the Fourth Estate when a reputable, influential newspaper such as The News printed two stories on the same day, both on page 8-A of the August 12 edition, full of false information. He suggests that the newspaper owed an apology to the people of Brunswick County for reporter Julian Scheer's "trashy, inept, inaccurate, untrue story from Shallotte." He suggests that the two stories could be dismissed as "Scheer claptrap and Scheer nonsense" but for the wide circulation and profound influence of the newspaper. He believes that if unanswered, they would irreparably injure the community and believes them breaches of reportorial integrity, newspaper ethics, truth and good taste. He asserts that Mr. Scheer could hardly have spent more than a moment, if that, in the Red Cross disaster shelter set up the previous week in the Shallotte School, for he had indulged in a "flight of imaginative, fanciful writing". He reported that his nostrils had been offended by farmers and fishermen, but the editor suggests that had Mr. Scheer labored hard and sweated to secure and protect his belongings up to the minute he feared it was no longer safe to remain in a danger zone, then he would probably have offended nostrils as well, especially after then spending two days and a night in an emergency shelter. He says that Mr. Scheer had made it sound as if 300 or 400 men, women and children who had sought safety from the storm, after experiencing the same terror ten months earlier with Hazel, were willfully unclean, loathsome, and degraded. He goes on quite a way attacking the reporting of Mr. Scheer, indicating that Hurricane Connie's force had gone elsewhere than Shallotte, that the community had been hit hard by Hazel, and so Mr. Scheer's suggestion that Connie had hit with all its force in the community was nonsense. He had also exaggerated the need for clean-up at various beaches, the clean-up of which had already been finished in the wake of Connie and were now ready for tourist business. He writes before Hurricane Diane and hopes that it would miss them, but indicates that if it hit, such damage would be expected from a hurricane, but not from a reporter. He asks that the newspaper keep Mr. Scheer in Mecklenburg County and finds that he had not even gotten the location of the community correct. He also disapproves of Mr. Scheer's seeming attack on teenagers for lighting cigarettes and a woman for rolling her own with Prince Albert, indicating that teenagers were prone to light cigarettes, but that no one had seen anyone roll their own in many years. "Does it make a 'Tobacco Road' out of acres lush with the golden leaf?" He says that maybe Mr. Scheer had seen a mother change her baby's diaper, but not from one wet side to the other wet side, as no mother would go to the trouble for such a purpose, that it would have been newsworthy had she changed it from one wet side to another dry side. The nurses in attendance also said that there was no pink eye evident in the shelter. He concludes that if he were Mr. Scheer's managing editor, he would be wondering where and how he had spent his expense money, that he could not have been in Shallotte long enough to spend it there, that he wrote as if he had used it to purchase "inspiration".

The editors respond that Mr. Scheer had reported factually what he had seen and indicates regret that the story from Shallotte was interpreted as a reflection on the community and its people, as it had not been so intended.

Had they foresight enough, they could have said not to worry, as Mr. Scheer would become the publicity agent for NASA starting in the early Mercury manned program and continuing through the moon shot and the rest of the Apollo program, where there would be few, if any, incidents forcing him to report on the changing of a baby's diapers or a woman rolling her own cigarette or teenagers smoking, though storms might effect both liftoff and landing efforts—unless, of course, there would be already a Roosky colony on the moon ahead of the Americans.

A letter writer, a white woman, replies to a letter written by a black woman appearing on the page the previous Saturday, indicating that if Charlotte society was "hate-ridden", as she interprets the previous letter to have suggested, then it had to be the "Negro society", as she had never known a white person who hated a black person as an individual or as a race, that all of the blacks she had ever known or heard of had been helped in every way by the whites. She says that the money for the black community's "beautiful schools" had come from white taxpayers, as well as the salaries of the black teachers, that taxes paid by blacks in North Carolina were negligible compared to the large sums necessary to educate the children. She says that both of her grandfathers, who had lived in Kentucky, had fought to free blacks from slavery, despite being the sons of slave-holders. They had not believed in slavery, and one of her grandfathers had carried a bullet for 40 years as a result of fighting for black freedom, suffering intense pain from it all of his life. She believes, therefore, she could say that there was never any racial hatred in her family, but also believes that her grandfathers had not fought to free blacks because they thought black culture was equal to white culture and that both races should comingle socially, simply believing that blacks were human beings with a divine soul and should be given the opportunity to develop their civilization in freedom. She indicates that thousands of white men had given their lives for the freedom which blacks now enjoyed and so "how Negroes can rant about racial hatred is something beyond my understanding." She finds that the previous letter writer's statement that blacks were the only people who had come to the country against their will and had lost their freedom by coming, to ignore the fact that the writer's ancestors had been brought out of the African jungle into the cultural surroundings of the old South, that no race had found the beginnings of civilization easy, and that in her opinion, the black race got its cultural start "more painlessly and more quickly than any other race ever did." She says that slaves in the South had been, on the whole, treated "kindly", having been fed and clothed, cared for when sick and taught trades which had aided them to the present day. As to the previous writer's advice about Christianity, she indicates that she was a Christian now because her ancestors had been taught Christianity and taken to church by cultured Christian Southern whites they had been fortunate enough to know. After the Civil War, the South had been devastated, with nothing left for either whites or blacks. She wonders why, with blacks having been freed, that they did not set out for the North, eager to get away from the South where, according to the previous writer, they had been "stood over with a whip and a gun". She says that blacks had never had as good friends anywhere as they had in Southern whites and that every decent black person knew that, regardless of what the NAACP told them. That friendship had not been built on racially equality, "but rather upon the genuine, paternal love the white man has had for the black." (Just like a little dog, ain't it?) She goes on in her mindless drivel and preachments, concluding that no Supreme Court "edict can advance [the black race] one rung on evolution's ladder", that "sitting on the front seat of the bus cannot make a Negro white nor add one iota to his culture", that "the attempt to force these petty privileges only makes Negroes look more inferior", that the "Negro race may in 1,000 years from now begin to take its place among the great races of the earth if Negroes will start now to be proud of their race and determined to preserve its integrity and foster its own traditions." (That would be after, we presume, the end of the thousand-year Reich.) She says that the NAACP urged blacks to lose their race in the white race, that the previous writer had said that her race did not want to "intermarry or mix with white people". She says that she was not a "hate-dispenser", as the previous writer had suggested by implication, but that she understood the aim of the NAACP to be total integration including marriage because she had read the previous spring that Kelly Alexander, the NAACP representative for North Carolina, had written a letter to Governor Hodges seeking to change 27 laws, with the first of which being the ban on interracial marriage. She finds that the prior writer could not say that she wanted her children to go to school with white children while also saying she did not want to mingle with white people, as going to school together was "mingling socially, playing together, dancing together and dating together". (As everybody knows, everybody in school dates each other at least once before the end of school, and inevitably, has sexual relations with them as well. In fact, to go to school at all, is to be, in the impolite French used by Stewart Alsop three days earlier, completely "foutu", as any high school yearbook will inevitably ku-ku-kushew, even if the juiciest parts are censored for family consumption by younger members of the family.) She concludes, finally, that white people had no hatred for black people, that white people had their racial pride, that they did all they could to help black people advance their culture within their own race, "but we are not going to turn back our own civilization thousands of years in order to co-mingle with the civilization and the very cradle of evolution." She says it had nothing to do with Christianity, that it was simply a matter of preservation of "our species and the determination not to dim the light of civilization the white race carries. For that light, feeble as it is, is the hope of the world."

A letter writer indicates that being a newcomer to Charlotte, he was interested in editorials, the letters to the editor and all local news, finds something fishy about the case involving the former police officer who had been fired after it had been discovered, shortly after his hiring, that he had been convicted for assault with a deadly weapon, a misdemeanor, and fined $10, for activities related to the recent Southern Bell Telephone Co. strike, during which he had crossed picket lines, that the former officer deserved a better break and hopes that letters of the type would help him.

Framed Edition
[Return to Links
Page by Subject] [Return to Links-Page by Date] [Return to News<i><i><i>—</i></i></i>Framed Edition]
Links-Date Links-Subj.